Thursday, December 1, 2011

Boys remind me of funny stories that happened on our China trip

We touched down in America in Detroit. The first immigration lady said "you will not be making your next flight connection. The connections are too close together when you have to go thru immigration especially with a new american immigrant (our Andi)."

I just about cried right in front of her. I wanted to ask if she realized what we had been thru in the last 14 days. And I can not take any longer not being united with my family. I had thoughts of renting a car if I had too. I am going to get home soon!!

I went to the next immigration officer to hand him the big thick brown envelope that we were to leave completely sealed up until this point.. And here we are, the officer opened the envelope and is looking thru the papers/forms/signatures that are in it..

I am thinking "Oh please let everything be there. Please."

I ask this officer if we can make the plane. He says that he is doing his best to get us on it.

Oh, good, someone who is helping.... Finally, he is thru with the package and points to the direction of our gate. But he says as we are gathering all our luggage that the plane is boarding and is on last call.

We grabbed our bags, do a double count to make sure we have them all, and off we run. Our gait is at the end of the terminal!! The loud speaker is calling last call!!

I tell the boys to go ahead and run to the gait. Tell them that I am coming with the baby. Run, boys run.

Steven is in the lead with John and Thomas not far behind. I am carrying Andi which she does not help support herself on my hip. So it is really carrying a bag of potatoes that is slipping. Plus I have my own luggage in tow.

It doesn't look good. I am going slower and slower because of baby Andi. The lady is about to close the door to the plane.

I quickly run by a lady mopping the floor and ask if she can carry the baby for me. She actually says yes! I tell her to just keep up as much as she can and I tell her the gate number. I go off running hoping to catch the plane then to beg them to wait on the lady carrying my baby.

While I run, I look back to make sure she has baby Andi... she does but looks winded already. I yell encouragement to her. She smiles and says she is doing her best.

Finally I catch up with the boys as we approach the gate stand. They ushered us in BUT wait on our baby. "Where is she?" gate lady asks. That lady walking fast and breathing really hard is bringing the baby.

I sent the boys onto the plane and waited for Andi. The lady was so out of breath that she could hardly get the name of her supervisor out her mouth. So she wrote it down on paper for me. I kept thanking her over and over. What a blessing she was to us for her to lay down her job and incarnate into my world.


These are the bags we took.


And this is how we got Andi thru the airport--in her backpack. But when we went thru immigration they made me take Andi out of the carrier. I did not have the time to get it back on properly and to put Andi back into it. We had no time to spare. So Andi was sitting on my hip.

No comments:

Post a Comment